KosherEye Passover Links & Tips
Have a Passover question? Want to know some tips for shopping for less? We have it!
Passover for Less Tips: (Consult with your Rabbi)
• Heinz wine vinegar, Heinz garlic wine vinegar certified OU-P (certification must appear)
• Coffee any plain, unflavored beans; grinder must be clean. Instant requires certification
• Any dishwashing soap
• Pure frozen concentrate orange juice- any
• Frozen fruit-acceptable if not sweetened or cooked, and contains no additives
• Raw Pecan halves or wholes are acceptable without Passover certification. Also, other raw nuts that are not blanched or roasted and free of bha/bht are also acceptable
• Kirkland and Trident salmon – OU (no special Passover certification necessary)
• Quinoa – Some Rabbis allow its use on Passover and some Rabbis don't. This year it has been found that a lot of the quinoa available has been processed in facilities that process grains. We have been advised that it only be purchased from Bolivia (where they commonly do not process it with grains.) Ancient Harvest brand, lot code 3.01.14 k, sold in small retail 12 oz boxes. When ordering directly from them, mention that you want the Passover run. http://www.quinoa.net/; (310) 217-8125. It should be checked thoroughly by hand for grains before Passover. Check with your Rabbi.
• Soaps – any
• Styrofoam - any
• Real lemon in bottle – OU (no special Passover certification necessary)
• Tea bags – any unflavored
• Bigelow, many varieties
• White sugar – any without additives, Brown sugar must have Passover certification
• Make your own vanilla sugar Make your own noodles Make your own stawberry jam -- sugar, lemon, strawberries
• Baking soda -all kosher without certification
• Extra virgin olive oil – all kosher without certification
• Cocoa –any 100% pure no additives such as Hershey's
Here is a convenient link to the three top kashruth sites for answers: CRC Passover 2011 Guide, Star-K Passover 2011 Guide and OU Passover 2011 Guide.